The ranking system for Canada's armed forces is much the same as that of the Britain's Royal Navy and Army -- no surprise, considering Canada's close association with Britain. Due to the Canadian Forces Reorganization Act of 1968, all military insignia are derived from naval insignia and so differ only in the name of the rating or rank and in the color of the uniform backing the insignia -- a lighter blue for Air Force, navy blue for Navy, and olive green for the Army. The grades are listed with the Navy rating first followed by the Army and Air Force equivalent.

Also, I didn't include the ratings and ranks in French because I'm a lazy bugger and it looked too cluttered.

Flag Officers (Navy) or General Officers (Air Force and Army) Senior Officers
  • Captain (Capt(N)) or Colonel (Col)
    • Four thinner gold horizontal stripes on the cuffs, four gold stripes on the epaulets.
  • Commander (Cdr) or Lieutenant Colonel (LCol)
    • Same as above except three stripes on the cuffs and epaulets instead of four.
  • Lieutenant Commander (LCdr) or Major (Maj)
    • One really thin gold horizontal stripe with thicker ones above and below on the cuffs, and the same pattern of stripes on the epaulets.
Junior Officers
  • Lieutenant (Lt(N)) or Captain (Capt)
    • Two thin gold horizontal stripes on the cuff, and the same pattern of stripes on the epaulets.
  • Sub-Lieutenant (SLt) or Lieutenant (Lt)
    • One thin gold stripe with a thinner one directly above it on the cuffs, and the same pattern of stripes on the epaulets.
  • Acting Sub-Lieutenant (A/SLt) or Second Lieutenant (2Lt)
    • One thin gold stripe on the cuffs, and the same pattern of stripes on the epaulets.
Subordinate Officers
  • Naval Cadet (NCdt) or Officer Cadet (OCdt)
    • One really thin gold horizontal stripe on the cuff, and the same pattern of stripes on the epaulets.
Non-Commissioned Members Appointments (same for all branches)

SOURCES:
http://www.uniforminsignia.net/show.php?stat=Canada&podkategorie=Navy&num=1&id=547
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/Insignia/nava_e.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.