A standard style of clothing, worn to signify that the people wearing them belong to a particular group, such as school. Often said to strip away one's individuality.

Ironically, folks who say they thrive on their individuality wear uniforms without realizing it. Skaters are one example. The official skater uniform is pants, long chain for empty wallet, gas station or mailman shirt, and cigarettes.

U"ni*form (?), a. [L. uniformis; unus one + forma from: cf. F. uniforme.]

1.

Having always the same form, manner, or degree; not varying or variable; unchanging; consistent; equable; homogenous; as, the dress of the Asiatics has been uniform from early ages; the temperature is uniform; a stratum of uniform clay.

Whewell.

2.

Of the same form with others; agreeing with each other; conforming to one rule or mode; consonant.

The only doubt is . . . how far churches are bound to be uniform in their ceremonies. Hooker.

Uniform matter, that which is all of the same kind and texture; homogenous matter. -- Uniform motion, the motion of a body when it passes over equal spaces in equal times; equable motion.

Hutton.

 

© Webster 1913.


U"ni*form, n. [F. uniforme. See Uniform, a.]

A dress of a particular style or fashion worn by persons in the same service or order by means of which they have a distinctive appearance; as, the uniform of the artillery, of the police, of the Freemasons, etc.

There are many things which, a soldier will do in his plain clothes which he scorns to do in his uniform. F. W. Robertson.

In full uniform Mil., wearing the whole of the prescribed uniform, with ornaments, badges of rank, sash, side arms, etc. -- Uniform sword, an officer's sword of the regulation pattern prescribed for the army or navy.

 

© Webster 1913.


U"ni*form, v. t.

1.

To clothe with a uniform; as, to uniform a company of soldiers.

2.

To make conformable.

[Obs.]

Sir P. Sidney.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.