In the US Fixed Income markets, an acronym standing for 'Separate Trading of Registered Interest and Principal'.

Aka a zero coupon bond.

A group of circuits when looked at as a unit perform a specific function. An example is the IF strip in a radio system. It uses several distinct circuits that, when combined and looked at as a whole, provides Intermediate Frequency conversions.

In the bookselling business, a strip is a book that's literally not worth the paper it's printed on.

In general, books come in three different formats: hardcovers, trade paperbacks and mass-market paperbacks. Hardcovers and trades are expensive to produce and are therefore sent back to the store's distributors for a merchandise credit if they're not sold. Mass markets are a different animal - they're printed on extremely cheap paper, are poorly bound and generally don't last more than six months if stored in direct sunlight. They're designed to be read and forgotten; most romance, horror, science fiction serials and budget classics are printed as mass markets. They're called mass markets because they account for a huge percentage of book sales and represent (you guessed it) the mass market.

Mass markets are so cheap to produce, in fact, and have such a short lifespan that they're not worth the cost of shipping to the book distributors if they languish on the shelves. They are therefore designated as strips - when it comes time to return them, the covers are stripped from the books and sent back to the wholesalers without their pages in exchange for a credit. The books themselves are (or at least should be) destroyed.

We don't actually destroy our strips at my bookstore - we wrap them in wrapping paper and use them for displays, we use them as doorstops or we use them as weapons. We do NOT, however, sell them.

Buying books without their covers is actually illegal - it qualifies as a copyright violation. That's why most mass markets have some variation of the following text printed on their copyright pages:

If you purchased this book without a cover you should be aware that this book is stolen property. It was reported as "unsold and destroyed" to the publisher and neither the author nor the publisher has received any payment for this "stripped book."

Strip (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stripped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Stripping.] [OE. stripen, strepen, AS. strpan in bestrpan to plunder; akin to D. stroopen, MHG. stroufen, G. streifen.]

1.

To deprive; to bereave; to make destitute; to plunder; especially, to deprive of a covering; to skin; to peel; as, to strip a man of his possession, his rights, his privileges, his reputation; to strip one of his clothes; to strip a beast of his skin; to strip a tree of its bark.

And strippen her out of her rude array. Chaucer.

They stripped Joseph out of his coat. Gen. xxxvii. 23.

Opinions which . . . no clergyman could have avowed without imminent risk of being stripped of his gown. Macaulay.

2.

To divest of clothing; to uncover.

Before the folk herself strippeth she. Chaucer.

Strip your sword stark naked. Shak.

3. Naut.

To dismantle; as, to strip a ship of rigging, spars, etc.

4. Agric.

To pare off the surface of, as land, in strips.

5.

To deprive of all milk; to milk dry; to draw the last milk from; hence, to milk with a peculiar movement of the hand on the teats at the last of a milking; as, to strip a cow.

6.

To pass; to get clear of; to outstrip.

[Obs.]

When first they stripped the Malean promontory. Chapman.

Before he reached it he was out of breath, And then the other stripped him. Beau. & Fl.

7.

To pull or tear off, as a covering; to remove; to wrest away; as, to strip the skin from a beast; to strip the bark from a tree; to strip the clothes from a man's back; to strip away all disguisses.

To strip bad habits from a corrupted heart, is stripping off the skin. Gilpin.

8. Mach. (a)

To tear off (the thread) from a bolt or nut; as, the thread is stripped.

(b)

To tear off the thread from (a bolt or nut); as, the bolt is stripped.

9.

To remove the metal coating from (a plated article), as by acids or electrolytic action.

10. Carding

To remove fiber, flock, or lint from; -- said of the teeth of a card when it becomes partly clogged.

11.

To pick the cured leaves from the stalks of (tobacco) and tie them into "hands"; to remove the midrib from (tobacco leaves).

<-- strip mine. A mine in which the unwanted layers (called the overburdewn) above the desirable ore is stripped, i.e. removed by excavation, leaving a pit in which the ore is exposed; in contrast with mines in which the ore is accessed and removed through a shaft or tunnel, without removing the layers of earth above it. -->

<-- striptease, an act in which a performer (usu. female) removes her clothing piece by piece; -- often performed to musical accompaniment. It was popular in burlesque theaters. -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Strip (?), v. i.

1.

To take off, or become divested of, clothes or covering; to undress.

2. Mach.

To fail in the thread; to lose the thread, as a bolt, screw, or nut. See Strip, v. t., 8.

 

© Webster 1913.


Strip, n.

1.

A narrow piece, or one comparatively long; as, a strip of cloth; a strip of land.

2. Mining

A trough for washing ore.

3. Gunnery

The issuing of a projectile from a rifled gun without acquiring the spiral motion.

Farrow.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.