The golden rule for spelling in Irish, caol le caol agus leathan le leathan means slender with slender and broad with broad. The terms slender and broad refer to two categories of vowels. The rule caol le caol agus leathan le leathan means that the vowels on either side of a consonant (or group of consonants) should agree; they should both be broad or both be slender. The rule is primarily used when you add an ending to a word (e.g., when conjugating a verb). To satisfy the rule you may need to add a vowel between the word and its ending. Note that there are a few common words that do not satisfy this rule.

However, even without knowing a single word of Irish, you can apply the rule to catch many spelling mistakes! Let's try a few examples:

folús
Focus on the consonant in the center, l, and look at the vowels immediately before and after. The vowel before, o, is broad, and so is the vowel after, ú. This word follows the rule, so there aren't any obvious spelling mistakes here. (In fact, it is spelled correctly.)

glacfidh
Focus on the consonant group in the center, cf, and look at the vowels immediately before and after. The vowel before, a is broad, but the vowel after, i is slender. This looks like a mistake! (In fact, the correct spelling is glacfaidh).

tiocfaidh
The flanking vowels, o and a are both broad, so this word follows the rule.

chruinneoinn
The flanking vowels, i and e are both slender, so this word follows the rule.

imaid
Uh oh! The vowel before, i, is slender, but the vowel after, a is broad. (In fact, the correct spelling is dóimid).

Now you are ready to find spelling mistakes in that letter from your Gaeilgeoir friend.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.