The capital of the state of Nevada. It has a population of approximately 50,000-55,000. It is located in the Carson Valley*, and just a 35 minute drive from Lake Tahoe and Reno, Nevada. The weather is very mild during the summer and winter, making it appealing to lots of people. It is very quiet, not really a wild city, but does have legal gambling and casinos. Carson City also used to mint coins for the United States. The mint is now a public museum.

I lived in Carson City for around five years. I really liked it. Having moved from there three years ago to Dallas, I really miss it. I will be very happy when I get to move back.

*Oops, see sysop's writeup below; Carson City is actually in the Eagle Valley.

This is just a minor correction to Zeolite's entry.

Carson City is located in the Eagle Valley, south of Washoe Valley and north of Carson Valley. In Carson Valley is some of the most beautiful agricultural scenery you'll ever see, plus two nifty towns, Minden and Gardnerville. In the Carson Valley you can find some of the best Basque food you've ever eaten. Trust me.

Features which make Carson City stand out in this region are:

  • A wonderful downtown full of places to walk around to
  • The old state capitol building, which has a silver (nay! Tin!) dome
  • An interpretive trail around a state penitentary

Carson City is also the gateway to Lake Tahoe via US Highway 50 (Tahoe is also accessible from Reno via Nevada 431 and Interstate 80 )

If you spend any time at all in northwestern Nevada, you'll end up calling the place "Carson" so you can start calling it that now if you'd like.

Cheers.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.