Artist: Flickerstick
Label: What Are Records
Year: 2002

Having gotten screwed by the great Epic shakeup of 2001 (the VP responsible for signing them and the marketing team promoting them all got canned), the band struggled to keep together and keep fans interested while working on another album. So they used the time honored delay tactic and released a live album.

Recorded at Deep Ellum in Dallas, TX. The art of the live recording died in the early 70's. Very very few live albums since have had the same clarity and warmth that seemed de riguer in the 60's. This is a welcome exception. The band is solid and clean live, and the production values on this are astounding, even more so when you consider they did it all themselves. The audience is very clearly there, but they do not overwhelm the music.

Dominic and Fletcher are a solid rhythm section, freeing Rex and Cory to build complex guitar and keyboard sections that are colored with a carefully architected layer off effects. Brandon's vocals are confident and real, infusing the songs with immediacy and depth.

The older songs are all well executed, tight, clear, and performed with heart and conviction, the newer songs are refreshing and will make you look forward to the next studio album. Believe is an upbeat track about believing in yourself. Telling all the World another self affirming track in the context of relationships and wanting to make the world a better place. These are supplemented by a sublime cover of Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You".

The title is line from the song "Direct Line to the Telepathic".

  1. Direct Line To The Telepathic
  2. Got A Feeling
  3. Believe
  4. Smile
  5. Sorry Wrong Trajectory
  6. Telling All The World
  7. Fade Into You
  8. Lift (With Love We Will Survive)
  9. Chloroform
  10. Coke
  11. Beautiful
  12. Execution By Christmas Lights
  13. Direct Line To The Telepathic (Reprise)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.