BR Class 11 (LMS/BR/English Electric 0-6-0 DE)

This LMS wartime design was the ancestor of the later British Railways standard shunters of classes 08, 09, and 10. Very similar in appearance apart from the absence of some of the later locomotives' equipment boxes, they were 0-6-0 diesel-electric shunting locomotives with a rear cab, a full-height bonnet (US: hood) but not the full width of the locomotive, an English Electric 6KT engine rated at 350 hp compared to 400 hp of the later designs, and electric transmission to two traction motors driving the wheels, which were linked by coupling rods (US: side rods).

106 locomotives were built by the LMS and by British Railways after the 1948 Nationalisation, while fourteen were built for the War Department, these later passing into British Railways ownership. They were painted LMS black from new, or in the case of the British Railways-built locomotives, BTC black. Locomotives rebuilt or the subject of major overhaul in the 1960s received green paint, and some bore Rail Blue livery towards the end.

Like many designs of shunter, they were surplus to requirements in the late 1960s after the rationalisation of Britain's railways and the reduction of the need for shunting locomotives, and they were all withdrawn from service between 1968 and 1971. A number passed into the hands of private industry and then to the preservation movement.


Specifications:

    TOPS Numbering:  Never carried
    1957 Numbering:  Never carried
    1948 Numbering:  12033-12138
     LMS Numbering:  7120-7131
          Built by:  LMS/BR Derby, BR Darlington
        Introduced:  1944-1952
 Wheel Arrangement:  0-6-0 (C)
            Length:  29ft 1½in (8.88m)
            Weight:  48 tonnes (metric tons)
     Maximum Speed:  20mph (32 km/h)
            Engine:  English Electric 6KT
     Engine Output:  350hp (261 kW)
      Transmission:  Electric
    Main Generator:  EE
   Traction Motors:  2 x EE
        Brake Type:  Vacuum
      Heating Type:  None Fitted
Route Availability:  5

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.