Cold War Kids are a technically indie band from California but their influences stem from blues, funk and rock more than anything.  Lyrically, they stick to the everyday: school halls, drunken patriarchs, stealing from church, and the general human experience through the eyes (and voice) of a fictional protagonist. Most of their songs, especially in their first album, are backed by strong percussion but after the release of their second album in 2008 they moved on to a more 'full' sound with a little more guitar and electronic effects.

The band first started in 2004, and released their first EP Mulberry Street in 2005. After touring in 2005 to 2006, they released two more EP's, With Our Wallets Full, and Up in Rags. At the end of 2006 they switched labels to Downtown Records and released their first full length album, Robbers and Cowards which was relatively popular, with their song Hang Me Up to Dry making it into the Triple J Hottest 100.

In between the release of their first album, they featured on a Radiohead cover tributed album, OKX and toured with bands such as Muse, the White Stripes, and Tapes n' Tapes. In 2008, they released a free MP3 of a track Something Is Not Right With Me and later released their newest album Loyalty to Loyalty, in September 2008.

 

Members of the band:

  • Nathan Willett (vocals, guitar piano)
  • Jonnie Russell (vocals, guitar, percussion)
  • Matt Maust (bass)
  • Matt Aveiro (drums)

Discography:

Singles:

Although they're a bit of an 'acquired taste', if you enjoy musicians like Jeff Buckley and Lou Reed, and if you like something original, both lyrically and musically, they're definitely worth listening to.  

 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.