Con*dense" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Condensed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Condensing.] [L. condensare; con- + densare to make thick or dense, densus thick, dense: cf. F. condenser. See Dense, and cf. Condensate.]

1.

To make more close, compact, or dense; to compress or concentrate into a smaller compass; to consolidate; to abridge; to epitomize.

In what shape they choose, Dilated or condensed, bright or obscure. Milton.

The secret course pursued at Brussels and at Madrid may be condensed into the usual formula, dissimulation, procrastination, and again dissimulation. Motley.

2. Chem. & Physics

To reduce into another and denser form, as by cold or pressure; as, to condense gas into a liquid form, or steam into water.

Condensed milk, milk reduced to the consistence of very thick cream by evaporation (usually with addition of sugar) for preservation and transportation. -- Condensing engine, a steam engine in which the steam is condensed after having exerted its force on the piston.

Syn. -- To compress; contract; crowd; thicken; concentrate; abridge; epitomize; reduce.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*dense", v. i.

1.

To become more compact; to be reduced into a denser form.

Nitrous acid is gaseous at ordinary temperatures, but condenses into a very volatile liquid at the zero of Fahrenheit. H. Spencer.

2. Chem. (a)

To combine or unite (as two chemical substances) with or without separation of some unimportant side products.

(b)

To undergo polymerization.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*dense", a. [L. condensus.]

Condensed; compact; dense.

[R.]

The huge condense bodies of planets. Bentley.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.