Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue is series of books written by Neale Donald Walsch and (if you believe what he tells you) co-authored by none other than the Almighty him/her/itself.

Its format is as the title suggests: a dialogue in question and answer format.

The author introduces the book by explaining how it came about. During a low period in his life, Walsch did as was customary for him and sat down to vent his spleen with pen and paper in hand. He wrote down all the things that were troubling him at the time. He wrote down some questions I'm sure we've all asked from time to time: "Why does this always happen to me?" "Why do I always screw things up?". He paused, and then found himself writing the words:

Do you really want an answer to all these questions or are you just venting?

And so it began. What follows is a conversation with a being the author believes to be God. He asks a question of God and God answers him, often at great length.

The topics range from the simple questions about identity, the Author's troubles with relationships to the big questions about sex, reincarnation, extra-terrestrial life, creation and why God allows wars to take place.

It is a thought-provoking dialogue. The books are suprisingly well written and coherent.

What they are also is unpretentious. The author remains very humble throughout the dialogue, but he also manages to ask some very honest and searching questions, many of which humanity has pondered since the dawn of time.

So who is Neale Donald Walsch to presume to have the definitive answers to these questions? Well he doesn't apparently, God does.

Ultimately it matters not whether you believe that the Author has the Almighty on the line or is simply talking to himself. Indeed, the books will argue that there is no difference...

...but then I don't want to spoil the surprise for you.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.