This stuff is infamous, but I find it a nice change from oatmeal, cream of wheat, and malt-o-meal. I managed to convince my mother to make it exactly once during my elementay school days. I thought it was alright, but everyone else hated it, and it reminded my father too much of his poorer childhood. This is an extremely cheap dish, but try it for breakfast someday if you've never had it.

Ingredients

  • 1 part cornmeal
  • 2 parts water
  • some table salt (1/4 tsp for every cup of cornmeal)

Directions

  1. Put the water in a pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Add the salt.
  3. Gently stir in the cornmeal. If you dump it all in at once, you will probably get lumpy mush.
  4. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, for around 5 minutes (or until the mixture is thickened), stirring frequently.
  5. Remove from heat and enjoy. Add honey and/or butter to taste.

This dish is much more interesting when made into fried mush. To do this, pour the mush into a loaf pan and put it in the refrigerator. When it is thoroughly chilled and has set, cut it into thin slices, and fry the slices in oil in a skillet. Drizzle maple syrup or honey over it. This is a significant improvement.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.