Crestline is a small residential community located in the San Bernardino Mountains of Southern California.  The community of less than 10,000 persons is spread along a 5000' MSL southwest facing ridge directly above San Bernardino (at apppx. 1000' MSL).

Many of the homes in the area are not lived in full-time, and many of the full-time residents commute to jobs in the flatlands of SoCal.  The balance of the local population is composed primarily of retirees and the marginally employed.  The area is alpine in character and receives at least a few feet of snow each winter.  Daytime temperatures are typically 20 degrees (F) cooler than the valley below.  Property values are quite low compared to nearby Lake Arrowhead and most of SoCal, but there is some slow gentrification which will probably accelerate as the suburban sprawl below continues.

Crestline is well known among the hang-gliding community worldwide as the namesake of the Crestline Soaring Society hang gliding club which maintains a launch site on the ridge.  The arid Mediterranean climate of SoCal and the reliable daily afternoon arrival of the seabreeze from the coast 70-90 miles away provides more than 300 flyable days per year, on average, which is matched by few other places around the globe.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.