This is a song from The Jefferson Airplane's album Surrealistic Pillow. It was written by Paul Kantner of The Jefferson Airplane.

There is a very obvious chord progession in the song - you will notice it from the first when you listen to it, and it is repeated throughout the song. It is generally assumed that this chord progression (D-C-B-A) gave rise to the name of the song.

It has also been surmised that '-25' was added to the title of the song to make a reference to the chemical LSD-25, which we know as our favourite hallucinogenic drug Acid.

As for the lyrics of the song, I assume that at some stage Paul was leaving someone or someplace, and wanted to leave a small eulogy to that parting.

I would imagine that this song would also be perfect for background music if you were actually taking Acid, as it seems to have that peaceful and loving atmosphere which is most desirable when your mind is being stimulated beyond anything it has so far experienced.

By the way, I interpret the line "too many days I've left unstoned" differently from the usual interpretation of "too many days that I didn't get stoned". I think this line is a reference to the phrase "stones left unturned". I think Paul is saying that there are many days which he did not investigate life as fully as he could have.

Lyrics:

It's time you walked away and set me free--
I must move away, 'n' leave you be.
It has been good to us my friend,
Wait, and see how it will end.
We come and go as we please.
(Grace: We come and go as we please)
(Paul: That's how it has to be).

Here in this ocean, the near and holy,
Too many days I've left unstoned.
If you don't mind, happiness
Purple pleasure-fields in the sun
Ah don't you know I'm runnin' home
(Grace: Don't you know I'm runnin' home)
(Paul: To a place, for you unknown).

I take great peace in your sitting there.
Searching for myself, I find a place there.
I see the people of the world,
Where they are and what they could be.
I can but dance behind your smile
(Grace: I can but dance behind your smile)
(Paul: To the other world - to me, for a while)

Sources:

  • http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/d/dcba25.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.