In the game of cricket, a declaration occurs when the captain of the batting team decides that although the team's innings has not yet finished, it would be advantageous to "declare" the innings over in order to have more time to bowl the other team out.

This oddity arises because of the limiting factor of time in cricket. To win a test match the opposing team must be bowled out twice, however there is a limited amount of time (5 days) in which to do this. If the captain of the batting team considers that the extra time to do this is more important than the extra runs foregone by declaring the innings over, then a declaration will be made.

A declaration not only gives the declaring team more time in which to bowl out the opposition, it also gives the opposition more time to score the runs needed to win the game. For this reason, a declaration is typically seen as an attacking move by a captain, as it increases the likelihood of a match resulting in a win rather than a draw. One traditional strategy is that by declaring early and giving your opponent a chance to score the required runs, you motivate them to play a risky attacking game that gives you a better chance of bowling them out.

Dec`la*ra"tion (?), n. [F. d'eclaration, fr. L. declaratio, fr. declarare. See Declare.]

1.

The act of declaring, or publicly announcing; explicit asserting; undisguised token of a ground or side taken on any subject; proclamation; exposition; as, the declaration of an opinion; a declaration of war, etc.

2.

That which is declared or proclaimed; announcement; distinct statement; formal expression; avowal.

Declarations of mercy and love . . . in the Gospel. Tillotson.

3.

The document or instrument containing such statement or proclamation; as, the Declaration of Independence (now preserved in Washington).

In 1776 the Americans laid before Europe that noble Declaration, which ought to be hung up in the nursery of every king, and blazoned on the porch of every royal palace. Buckle.

4. Law

That part of the process in which the plaintiff sets forth in order and at large his cause of complaint; the narration of the plaintiff's case containing the count, or counts. See Count, n., 3.

Declaration of Independence. Amer. Hist. See under Independence. -- Declaration of rights. Eng. Hist See Bill of rights, under Bill. -- Declaration of trust Law, a paper subscribed by a grantee of property, acknowledging that he holds it in trust for the purposes and upon the terms set forth.

Abbott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.