The art of taking things discovered by science and making them into actual things. Basically, engineering keeps the world running.

Many types of Engineering are tought at finer schools across the world, such as RIT, MIT, RPI, and other schools with three letter abbreviations.

A Civilization advance.
The science of engineering originated with civil engineers, who built bridges, roads, aqueducts, and other city structures and with military engineers, who built fortifications and weapons. Over time, engineering has come to include the design, construction, and operation of the structures and machines of industry, warfare, and day to day life.
Prerequisites: Construction and The Wheel.
Allows for: Invention and Electronics.

Short Version:

Engineering is the practice of using science to further the aspirations of humanity.

Longish Version:

Using a fundamental understanding of the nature of existence, engineers solve problems posed to them by aspirant and ambitious members of society, sometimes engineers themselves.  Using their insight into the mechanics of "things" engineers manipulate situations such that specific goals and targets may be met, with respect to manufacturing, research, etc.


 

En`gi*neer"ing, n.

Originally, the art of managing engines; in its modern and extended sense, the art and science by which the mechanical properties of matter are made useful to man in structures and machines; the occupation and work of an engineer.

⇒ In a comprehensive sense, engineering includes architecture as a mechanical art, in distinction from architecture as a fine art. It was formerly divided into military engineering, which is the art of designing and constructing offensive and defensive works, and civil engineering, in a broad sense, as relating to other kinds of public works, machinery, etc. -- Civil engineering, in modern usage, is strictly the art of planning, laying out, and constructing fixed public works, such as railroads, highways, canals, aqueducts, water works, bridges, lighthouses, docks, embankments, breakwaters, dams, tunnels, etc. -- Mechanical engineering relates to machinery, such as steam engines, machine tools, mill work, etc. -- Mining engineering deals with the excavation and working of mines, and the extraction of metals from their ores, etc. Engineering is further divided into steam engineering, gas engineering, agricultural engineering, topographical engineering, electrical engineering, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.