Some quotes about school by famous people:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
-Einstein

"We have to abandon the idea that schooling is something restricted to youth. How can it be, in a world where half the things a man knows at 20 are no longer true at 40 -- and half the things he knows at 40 hadn't been discovered when he was 20?"
-Arthur C. Clarke

"Schooling, instead of encouraging the asking of questions, too often discourages it."
-Madeleine L'Engle

"But there are advantages to being elected President. The day after I was elected, I had my high school grades classified Top Secret."
-Ronald Reagan

"The Founding Fathers in their wisdom decided that children were an unnatural strain on parents. So they provided jails called schools, equipped with tortures called an education."
-John Updike

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
-Einstein

KANJI: KOU KYOU (school, check, exam, printing, proof, correction)

ASCII Art Representation:

       ,,,                  %%%%,,
       %%%%%,                "%%%%%
        %%%%"                 %%%%
        %%%%                  %%%%         ,%%,
        %%%%      "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
"%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        %%%%            %%%,        %%%,,
        %%%%             %%%%%       "%%%%,
        %%%%            %%%%%          "%%%%,
        %%%%,,         %%%%"            "%%%%%
       %%%%%"%%%,    ,%%%"               "%%%"
       %%%%% "%%%% ,%%"             %%,,
      %%%%%%  "%%"        %%        "%%%%%
     %%%%%%%              %%,       ,%%%%
    %%% %%%%               %%,      %%%%
   %%%" %%%%                %%,    %%%%
 ,%%%"  %%%%                 %%%  %%%%
%%"     %%%%                  "%%%%%"
        %%%%                  ,%%%%"
        %%%%                 %%%%%%,
        %%%%               ,%%%" "%%%%,
        %%%%             ,%%%%"   "%%%%%%,,,,,,,
        %%%%         ,,,%%%""       "%%%%%%%%%%%
        "%%"    %%%%%%"""              "%%%%%%"

Character Etymology:

The radical at the left is tree/wood and the radical at the right is crossed legs. This character meant wooden shackles in ancient times, however the radical at the right was used interchangably with another character which meant a pair crossed sticks and took on that chacters meanings. This usage introduced the meanings of to match or emulate to this character and eventually this character evolved to mean checking and also a place for learning/school.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: KOU KYOU

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: men

English Definitions:

  1. KOU, KYOU: school; (printing) proof; comparison; correction; investigation.
  2. kou(su): test, correct; proofread.
  3. -ko: school, proof.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 2669
Henshall: 21

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

(kousei): proof reading.
高校 (koukou): high school.
校長 (kouchou): school master, principal.

  Previous: mouth  |  Japanese Kanji  |  Next: left

(Typical School Environment)

The American school is an educational institution worshipping and idolizing a host of conformist ideals. Required by law, until reaching 18 years of age people must attend school. In school, one is taught the ideal that one must conform to in order to acquire the vision of success held by the populous.

The American school is infamous for its abusive social environment. There's a "right" way to talk and walk, there are "right" things to wear, "right" things to do, "right" things to like and dislike. Those who do not conform to this ideal are ostracized by their peers and are labeled "losers". Due to this abusive school environment, there have been numerous cases of depression and, in extremes, suicide.

The American society is structured by school, which is given unnecessary stress. If one is able to learn things independently as opposed to in school, it does not matter. To attain the job you want it is a common pre-requisite to have a degree in college. For example, even if one's knowledge surpasses that of a person with a Ph.D. in Computer Science, if one has not received a college degree in Computer Science, the person with the Ph.D. is going to get the job and not you. Although a college degree is not required to attain a job, to get the best income a college degree is often required, but not always.

School's importance in life is that it teaches you how to be a complacent conformist, for those who rebel, those who go against the System, will not become "successful" in life, therefore for now, school has much importance.

School (?), n. [For shool a crowd; prob. confuced with school for learning.]

A shoal; a multitude; as, a school of fish.

 

© Webster 1913.


School, n. [OE. scole, AS. sclu, L. schola, Gr. leisure, that in which leisure is employed, disputation, lecture, a school, probably from the same root as , the original sense being perhaps, a stopping, a resting. See Scheme.]

1.

A place for learned intercourse and instruction; an institution for learning; an educational establishment; a place for acquiring knowledge and mental training; as, the school of the prophets.

Disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus. Acts xix. 9.

2.

A place of primary instruction; an establishment for the instruction of children; as, a primary school; a common school; a grammar school.

As he sat in the school at his primer. Chaucer.

3.

A session of an institution of instruction.

How now, Sir Hugh! No school to-day? Shak.

4.

One of the seminaries for teaching logic, metaphysics, and theology, which were formed in the Middle Ages, and which were characterized by academical disputations and subtilties of reasoning.

At Cambridge the philosophy of Descartes was still dominant in the schools. Macaulay.

5.

The room or hall in English universities where the examinations for degrees and honors are held.

6.

An assemblage of scholars; those who attend upon instruction in a school of any kind; a body of pupils.

What is the great community of Christians, but one of the innumerable schools in the vast plan which God has instituted for the education of various intelligences? Buckminster.

7.

The disciples or followers of a teacher; those who hold a common doctrine, or accept the same teachings; a sect or denomination in philosophy, theology, science, medicine, politics, etc.

Let no man be less confident in his faith . . . by reason of any difference in the several schools of Christians. Jer. Taylor.

8.

The canons, precepts, or body of opinion or practice, sanctioned by the authority of a particular class or age; as, he was a gentleman of the old school.

His face pale but striking, though not handsome after the schools. A. S. Hardy.

9.

Figuratively, any means of knowledge or discipline; as, the school of experience.

Boarding school, Common school, District school, Normal school, etc. See under Boarding, Common, District, etc. -- High school, a free public school nearest the rank of a college. [U.S.] -- School board, a corporation established by law in every borough or parish in England, and elected by the burgesses or ratepayers, with the duty of providing public school accomodation for all children in their dictrict. -- School commitee, School board, an elected commitee of citizens having charge and care of the public schools in any district, town, or city, and responsible control of the money appropriated for school purposes. [U.S.] -- School days, the period in which youth are sent to school. -- School district, a division of a town or city for establishing and conducting schools. [U.S.] -- Sunday school, ∨ Sabbath school, a school held on Sunday for study of the Bible and for religious instruction; the pupils, or the teachers and pupils, of such a school, collectively.

 

© Webster 1913.


School, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Schooled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Schooling.]

1.

To train in an institution of learning; to educate at a school; to teach.

He's gentle, never schooled, and yet learned. Shak.

2.

To tutor; to chide and admonish; to reprove; to subject to systematic disciplene; to train.

It now remains for you to school your child, And ask why God's Anointed be reviled. Dryden.

The mother, while loving her child with the intensity of a sole affection, had schooled herself to hope for little other return than the waywardness of an April breeze. Hawthorne.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.