Three is a great number. It is heavily utilized in magickal practices as a sort of shortcut to infinity.

Three is the number of creation itself. Think 1=Father, 2=Mother, 3=Creation. Three is the moment itself; three is the magick, the spark of life. The reason it's used in magick so much (lots and lots of shit in magick is done or said three times) is because it IS THAT MOMENT...so if you hit three, you've effectively hit all you need. You hit the core. Three is also a number of completion, largely because of geometry (1=point, 2=line, 3=triangle).

Three people are supposed to really have it good. They are, according to the books, "brilliant, gay--in the happy sense, dammit!--artistic, and lucky". Beats the hell out of four.
Long before it was the number of the Christian Holy Trinity, three was the number of a more fundamental trinity: Mother, Father, and Child. This sort of a trinity arises out of a polarity.

However, three is also the number of the alchemical principles: salt, sulphur, and mercury. These represent the processes of stasis, change, and dynamic equilibrium. A similar, more modernistic set of three processes is that of stasis, dynamism, and entropy.

The three alchemical principles, when multiplied by the four traditional elements, yield the twelve signs of the zodiac.

SAN ZOU mi (three)

ASCII Art Representation:

 
                                       ,%%,
    "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                   ,%%,
        "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                           ,%%,
"%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 
 

Character Etymology:

A pictograph of three extended fingers, as if counted on one hand.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: SAN ZOU
kun-yomi: mi mi(tsu) mi(tsu)

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: ka sa sai sae sabu za zae zabu sou zo tada mitsu min mo ya

English Definitions:

  1. SAN: three.
  2. mi(tsu), mi(ttsu): three.

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

(sangatsu): March.
三日 (mikka): third day (of the month).
三角 (sankaku): triangle.

  Previous: left  |  Japanese Kanji  |  Next: mountain

Three (?), a. [OE. þre, þreo, þri, AS. þri, masc., þreo, fem. and neut.; akin to OFries. thre, OS. thria, threa, D. drie, G. drei, OHG. dri, Icel. þrir, Dan. & Sw. tre, Goth. þreis, Lith. trys, Ir., Gael. & W. tri, Russ. tri, L. tres, Gr. trei^s, Skr. tri. 301. Cf. 3d Drilling, Tern, a., Third, Thirteen, Thirty, Tierce, Trey, Tri-, Triad, Trinity, Tripod.]

One more than two; two and one.

"I offer thee three things."

2 Sam. xxiv. 12.

Three solemn aisles approach the shrine. Keble.

Three is often joined with other words, forming compounds signifying divided into, composed of, or containing, three parts, portions, organs, or the like; as, three-branched, three-capsuled, three-celled, three-cleft, three-edged, three-foot, three-footed, three-forked, three-grained, three-headed, three-legged, three-mouthed, three-nooked, three-petaled, three-pronged, three-ribbed, three-seeded, three-stringed, three-toed, and the like.

 

© Webster 1913.


Three, n.

1.

The number greater by a unit than two; three units or objects.

2.

A symbol representing three units, as 3 or iii.

Rule of three. Arith. See under Rule, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.