Zu Risiken und Nebenwirkungen lesen Sie die Packungsbeilage und fragen Sie Ihren Arzt oder Apotheker.
(German: "For risks and side effects, read the included datasheet and consult with your doctor or pharmacist")

In Germany, this is the standard disclaimer/warning used in all pharmaceuticals advertising - on television, it is always shown as a stand-alone message immediately after the end of a commercial plugging some sort of over-the-counter/non-prescription drug. The message is simultaneously read aloud by some generic trustworthy-sounding male voiceover speaker.

Because advertising time on TV is expensive, the pharmaceuticals companies have managed to shave down the time needed to display these (required) disclaimers, by scrolling the text rapidly across the screen, and by hiring voiceover people capable of rattling off the (tongue-twisting) German text, to a few brief seconds.

In spite of the fact that it completely misses the point of such a warning, this is still a pretty impressive feat. If you're ever in Germany, watch for it.

dirty power = D = Discordianism

disclaimer n.

[Usenet] Statement ritually appended to many Usenet postings (sometimes automatically, by the posting software) reiterating the fact (which should be obvious, but is easily forgotten) that the article reflects its author's opinions and not necessarily those of the organization running the machine through which the article entered the network.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Dis*claim"er (?), n.

1.

One who disclaims, disowns, or renounces.

2. Law

A denial, disavowal, or renunciation, as of a title, claim, interest, estate, or trust; relinquishment or waiver of an interest or estate.

Burrill.

3.

A public disavowal, as of pretensions, claims, opinions, and the like.

Burke.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.