Dis*grace" [F. disgrace; pref. dis- (L. dis-) + grace. See Grace.]

1.

The condition of being out of favor; loss of favor, regard, or respect.

Macduff lives in disgrace. Shak.

2.

The state of being dishonored, or covered with shame; dishonor; shame; ignominy.

To tumble down thy husband and thyself From top of honor to disgrace's feet? Shak.

3.

That which brings dishonor; cause of shame or reproach; great discredit; as, vice is a disgrace to a rational being.

4.

An act of unkindness; a disfavor.

[Obs.]

The interchange continually of favors and disgraces. Bacon.

Syn. -- Disfavor; disesteem; opprobrium; reproach; discredit; disparagement; dishonor; shame; infamy; ignominy; humiliation.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*grace", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Disgraced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Disgracing (?).] [Cf. F. disgracier. See Disgrace, n.]

1.

To put out favor; to dismiss with dishonor.

Flatterers of the disgraced minister. Macaulay.

Pitt had been disgraced and the old Duke of Newcastle dismissed. J. Morley.

2.

To do disfavor to; to bring reproach or shame upon; to dishonor; to treat or cover with ignominy; to lower in estimation.

Shall heap with honors him they now disgrace. Pope.

His ignorance disgraced him. Johnson.

3.

To treat discourteously; to upbraid; to revile.

The goddess wroth gan foully her disgrace. Spenser.

Syn. -- To degrade; humble; humiliate; abase; disparage; defame; dishonor; debase.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.