A front has moved in and made itself at home during the last few days. Every road I'm on feels like a back road in some far off place, a place I'm moving through to get to where I need to be. Waiting for the drawbridge. Red lights cast a ghost halo against the black sky. Puddles go on and on. Tail lights always in front of me, keeping my pace like a runner, with a red baton.

Often, I find myself standing in the lot at work, in the rain, letting it ruin my hair and seep into my clothes. I let it into me, the feeling it brings with it. Saturation. Steady and true. Walking out to my car in bare feet with a laundry basket. Not quite dry clothes strung on hangers all over the place. 8 days of clothing changes rolled up in a sleeping bag. I don't think I've ever been away from New Orleans in the years I've lived here for longer than a weekend at once. Piles of squares of clothes stacked like school books. Shoes curling as they dry.

My last beer and stick of incense to purify the damp air before I leave it alone, hot and churning, for over a week. As always I'll leave my car at work. As always I will head to the airport from work.

When it rains here, it casts the city under a spell of stillness, the moment right before something is supposed to happen frozen in time, hanging there like a flag stopped mid-flap. You stare and stare and wait for movement, and it's all you know to do, all you've learned from experience.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.