This recipe is based on one found in The Cookery of England by Elisabeth Ayrton (Penguin Books)

This recipe makes an excellent sauce that can be poured over baked, broiled, or fried chicken or turkey. It can turn an otherwise everyday piece of poultry into an elegant meal. Rice is an excellent accompaniment to this dish.

Ingredients

  • 3-4 tablespoons butter or good-quality margarine (do not use low- or non-fat margarine)
  • 2-2½ tablespoons flour
  • ½ teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon marjoram
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock or chicken broth
  • 1 cup (250 ml) dry white wine
  • 2 egg yolks, well beaten

Method

1. Melt the butter completely in a saucepan. Add the flour, stirring constantly to mix. Cook for about three minutes but do not let brown. 2. Remove from heat, and add the chicken stock, white wine, thyme, marjoram, pepper, salt, onion powder, and nutmeg. 3. Return the mixture to the heat and bring it to a good boil, then let boil until it is reduced by half and the sauce has thickened. 4. Remove from heat and let cool for about five minutes. 5. Add egg yolks and mix well, using a whisk. Return to a very low heat and cook for five to ten minutes. Do not allow the sauce to boil at this point - the yolks will curdle. The sauce should get warm enough that small amounts of steam rise from it. 6. Adjust seasonings and serve immediately over chicken or turkey.


I've made this a few times and it never fails to impress guests. The most crucial ingredient is perhaps the stock. Use the best quality you have, of course. It's best if your stock is made from boiling a chicken in fresh water, but the busy amongst us may have to settle for canned. Enjoy!!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.