Erik Meijer (born August 2, 1969 in Meerssen, Limburg) is a retired Dutch football player. Standing at 189 cm, he was well known as a header specialist.

Meijer started his career at Fortuna Sittard (1987-89), and broke through in the early 1990s at Dutch Eredivisie club MVV Maastricht and was transferred to PSV Eindhoven in 1994, where he failed to play much because Ronaldo, Luc Nilis and Wim Kieft blocked the striker positions.

He then moved to German Bundesliga strugglers KFC Uerdingen in 1995, where he was one of the few bright spots in a hapless squad, and was picked up by Bayer Leverkusen. There, he was paired up with Ulf Kirsten and formed one of the most intimidating strike partnerships of the Bundesliga.

After successful years, Meijer moved to Liverpool FC in 1999, where he failed to make an impression next to Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler. He was therefore loaned out to Preston North End for one season. He returned to the Bundesliga and joined Hamburger SV in December 2000. Meijer became a cult hero at Anfield despite rarely making the first team, and he was christened 'Mad Erik' for his never say die attitude and love for the club. He joined Liverpool fans in Dortmund prior to the 2001 UEFA Cup, where he drank and sang with Reds fans.

But it was only after moving to Second Bundesliga club Alemannia Aachen, in 2003, where he finally regained success. In the autumn of his career, his strong play and dressing room presence propelled Aachen into the German Cup finals in 2003-04, losing to Werder Bremen, but earning a ticket into the UEFA Cup (as Bremen were German champions) and rejuvenating Alemannia financially. He was also named captain for the first time in his career. Meijer also was essential for Aachen's promotion into the Bundesliga after 36 years, in 2005-06.

Meijer ended his career that summer, stating he wanted to finish in style after this last big success. He took on a post in the management of Alemannia Aachen. But after a very short time he was appointed assistant coach of the newly arrived Bundesliga team, working with Michael Frontzeck, who succeeded Dieter Hecking in September 2006.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.