1975 comedy album by the Firesign Theater, later turned into a 45-minute movie. New Age guru Happy Harry Cox, broadcasting from his home in a nudist trailer park, begins to suspect that the aliens really have arrived this time and are alienating us by feeding us blue moss. Features some of the funniest bits and most memorable characters the FST's ever produced. Curently available on VHS, though the album itself remains out of print.

"Is this beating and clubbing part of the dance?"
"Well, yes and no, Bob."

Everything You Know Is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies
ISBN 0-9713942-0-2
Published by The Disinformation Company Ltd.
Editor: Russ Kick
Contains information from the following authors:

  • Naomi Klein
  • Howard Bloom
  • Howard Zinn
  • Paul Krassner
  • William Blum
  • Arianna Huffington
  • Noreena Hertz
  • Thomas Szasz, M.D.
  • Greg Palast
  • James Ridgeway
  • Wendy McElroy
  • Kalle Lasn
  • Richard Metzger (preface)
  • Tristan Taormino
  • Jonathan Vankin
  • Peter Breggin, M.D.
  • Lucy Komisar
  • Mike Males
  • John Taylor Gatto
  • Dominick T. Armentano
  • Douglas Valentine
  • Helen Jefferson Lenskyj
  • Lindsay Jenkins
  • Cletus Nelson
  • Brad Shellady
  • Rory Carroll
  • Russ Kick
  • Gabe Kirchheimer
  • Mickey Z.
  • Philip W. Cook
  • Lucy Gwin
  • Preston Peet
  • Nick Mamatas
  • Annie Laurie Gaylor
  • David Lochbaum
  • David Hardy
  • Dr. K. Jamanadas
  • Robert Sterling
  • Peter Gorman
  • Alex Burns
  • Jack Niedenthal

Everything You Know Is Wrong is a large (280+ pages) nonfiction compilation of essays of varyied length, averaging about 8 pages each and totalling 46 articles in all. The book is the sequel to You Are Being Lied To, a similar compilation. For any curious consumer interested in the deception of the public and what lies beneath it all, this book provides a powerful dose of truth. Although the book is more unslanted than not, the introduction clearly asserts that the book's motive is to plant seeds of distrust in the minds of its readers and cause them to question everything.

I tried.

"Everything you know is wrong" is a 1974 album by comedy troupe The Firesign Theatre, based around the idea of alien visitors. It is a 40 minute album, featuring the four members of The Firesign Theatre acting out different roles, over a constantly-changing background of incidental music and sound effects. The album doesn't have specific episodes as such, but seems to change focus from time to time.

I had heard of The Firesign Theatre as being an important part of the counterculture of the late 1960s and 1970s, and I thought I would at least check it out. (Especially because I got this record from the dollar bin.) I listened and...well, "counter cultural humor" is often the same as stoner humor and this album seemed to be so intricately filled with in-jokes and surreal humor that I couldn't really keep track of what was going on. Every once in a while I caught a topical allusion, such as the US military's reaction to aliens, and there was also a lot of weird sound effects like vocoder voices, that were probably innovative at the time, but are now things anyone could do.

I might be missing the point, and perhaps I would have to spend hours in a cannabis-infused state of ultra-concentration, but rather than seeming like ground-breaking humor, this seemed like noodling to me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.