I find myself thinking tonight about the various animals I've seen die. Not by intention, it just keeps coming to mind. I'm not really sure why. Maybe I've "got the morbs".

I was maybe 17. One of the cats that lived in our barns (and mainly the garage) had kittens. One of the kittens must somehow have been neglected by its mother, because it got to the verge of death. My mother decided to take it inside, put it under a blanket, heat up some milk for it, and try to nurse it back to health. I sat there and helped her feed it with an eyedropper pipette. It choked on what we tried to feed it, and died after a couple of minutes. If anything it's almost comedic: we killed it.

I think I was 20 or 21. Still living at home with my parents, as I do now. We had an outdoor dog named Graham. He was a big, stout hound, with long orange and white fur and a wild personality. Graham liked to run. He would chase after (and catch, kill, and eat) rabbits. Another habit of his was chasing cars as they drove past. We tried to discourage this habit, but he was stubborn, difficult to teach if he didn't want to learn. So he still chased cars. One day, the entire family went to church, and when we returned from church, Graham was in pieces at the end of the driveway. There were parts of him scattered across the driveway and down the road. The theory is that he chased a tractor that drove by and got tangled up in the machinery. I remember my mother and sister screaming. I remember laughing, smirking. Not at the situation, but at my family's reaction. I don't know why I did, that's the thing. I don't know why I laughed. It was sad. I enjoyed having the dog around. But I was amused.

Last year sometime, springtime I think, we found a nest of baby rabbits in the garden. Rabbits are a pest animal, we can't have them in our vegetable garden. I went to the garage and got a large and flat shovel. They were newborn and helpless, which is probably a good thing, because they were faster to kill. I smashed the shovel flat, as hard as I could, on each rabbit. The goal was to kill them quickly and painlessly. I'm sure it was instant and painless, but they splatter a little bit: their guts exploded. I remember thinking that I should feel bad. Rabbits are cute, and they're mammals. That's the thing, though. I didn't feel bad. I thought it was weird, but I felt oddly pleased. Maybe it was because I was saving our kale plants. (I love garden kale. It's a great snack.) My father asked me if I was okay. "Fine," I told him, "I think I need a drink of water."

The map was straightforward enough. We know the town, a Lake Erie port more active during summertime. We drove across a bridge and passed a sign that marked our route as a Dead End. Atop the cliff stood a house built in 1867. The first room contained a large stone fireplace and a caged beast.

I suspect the house has served other purposes over the years. The washroom contains both a toilet and a urinal, suggesting it once may have been a retreat or a Bed and Breakfast. The floorboards might be originals, now weathered chic. The pool in the backyard which overlooks the ravine is clearly of recent vintage.

Several people gathered here, writers and artists, an actor and a singer, a man who writes absurd and hilarious poems, a woman who has lived multiple lives, and someone who claims to be a witch. Our host wanted us to discuss the creative process.

A perfect set up, clearly for an Agatha Christie murder mystery or a Shirley Jackson horror.

It proved no such thing.

A century ago, the house would have been remote. Now neighbours surround it. The space between the bottom of the hill and the town, meanwhile, has been stuffed with suburban snout houses, painted pastel and begging to blend with the beach. The beast in the cage was an overgrown, still not fully-grown puppy who needed to be secured while guests arrived. And Neopagan witches are not so uncommon.

The meeting proved pleasant and thoughtful. The sunny day suggested a walk afterwards.

My wife and I declined. We drove instead down comfortable country roads to a place midway between where we'd been and home to enjoy Italian food.

Good days do not necessarily make good stories.

291 words

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.