I spent the weekend in bed as much as possible. That might sound like the beginning of something powerfully erotic, but in this case it isn't unless you have some sort of bizarro mucus fetish. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I chose to deal with my cold, for that is what I was afflicted with, in my usual manner -- hibernation. I take the admonition "get lots of rest" very seriously.

Since becoming a father, I haven't been able to totally check out as I would prefer to. I mean, somebody has to pour the cherrios and pull up Spongebob Squarepants on the DVR. Further complicating Operation Hibernation was the fact that my wife was also afflicted. And since I have an 18 Constitution, I tend to make my saving throws against plague, so whereas she gets really sick, I just get annoyingly, mildly unwell. I am usually the least sick and first to recover, and consequently, I am the one sent out to get groceries and takeout. I also get to cook, feed the kid, and clean up. It's a raw deal. It's not something they mention in the role playing game books. 18 Constitution isn't as great as you might think.

I decided to come to work today because I figured that if I was going to have to be up and around anyway, I might as well get credit for it. Besides, I have stuff to do. I have a project near completion and some paperwork to guide through the bureaucracy.


Thanks to CBC Radio 3, I have discovered The New Pornographers, and by extension, the scrumptious Neko Case. They rock. redheads++ All in all, today has been a good day. I've been blowing my nose all day, and I have sneezed/coughed up things that should not be named. But that's all to be cheered for it means the unholy vermin inhabiting my body are being expelled in torrents of snot.

In other news, I spent about ten semi-serious minutes looking for a job in Canada. Did you know there is a lot more, geographically, to Canada than Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal? There's also, I have heard, a place called Ottawa. Fascinating. The fascination with Canada is in part due to my discovery of CBC Radio 3, but it's also a on-again/off-again notion that I've had since the coup de etat of 2000, that I would emigrate. I may still. In my head I have been compiling a list of reasons why I should move north and become a Canuck. In no particular order:

  • Casual marijuana laws
  • Moose
  • Good beer
  • National Health Care
  • Low crime
  • Socialism
  • Hockey
  • Hot babes
  • Snow
  • Wide open spaces
  • ...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.