(+/-)-N-methyl-3-phenyl-3-(α,α,α-trifluoro-p-tolyl)oxypropylamine hydrochloride
Empirical formula of C12H18F3NO o HCl. Molecular weight of 345.79.
Fluoxetine hydrochloride is a white to off-white crystalline solid with a solubility of 14 mg/mL in water.
Sold under the brand name Prozac.

The antidepressant, antiobsessive-compulsive, and antibulimic actions of fluoxetine are presumed to be linked to its inhibition of CNS neuronal uptake of serotonin.

For reference, see SSRI.

A common prescription anti-depressant drug sold as Prozac; it is classed as a "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor," or SSRI, which functionally means that it increases the levels of serotonin in the body.

This drug, as is the case with other SSRIs, can be dangerous if they're mixed with other drugs such as other antidepressants, illicit drugs (LSD, cocaine, methamphetamine), some antihistamines (Seldane, Histmanal), some antibiotics, and calcium channel blockers.

Side effects include lethargy, confusion, flushing, sweating and muscle spasms. Overdose can cause damage to red blood cells, breathing problems and kidney damage.


From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.