DOB: 16/6/73
Height: 181cm
Weight: 80kg

Acheivements: 1993 premiership, with Essendon; 1993 Brownlow Medal; All-Australian Team 1992, 1993, 1995, 2001
Current club: Port Power
First played in AFL: 1991
State of origin: South Australia
Games: 233 (127 Essendon, 106 Port Power)

Gavin Wanganeen is the captain of Port Adelaide footy club and one of the best players in the Australian Football League. He began to play professionally with SANFL club Port Adelaide, and in 1991 he was picked up by AFL club Essendon in the draft. He won the Brownlow Medal in 1993, the same year that Essendon won the Grand Final. When Port Adelaide, now known as Port Power, entered the national league in 1997 he faithfully returned home and became the club's inaugural skipper. The club under him has had quite a good run, and there is no denying he's a champion despite a few problems in the injury department in 2000 especially.

Gavin Wanganeen is an Aborigine, which many find hard to believe given that he is whiter than I am. Nevertheless it is true and Wanganeen has played a significant role in the improvement of racial relations in the AFL. He was the first ever Aborigine to win the Brownlow.

Wanganeen is "the first player to take part in four successful night grand finals since the competition has been staged entirely before the home-and-away season", according to http://afl.com.au/?pg=preseason.

He often plays in the back pocket, on the wing or in the centre.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.