George Lloyd was born in 1913. He achieved early success as a classical composer after completing three symphonies and several successes with opera. When World War II rolled around he took a break from composing. While fighting he suffered bad shell-shock and was taken to Switzerland to recuperate. During his stay at Cornwall, Switzerland, George took up the hobby of gardening. He grew mushrooms, which he is famous for, and carnations. It wasn’t until his health improved dramatically that George would complete several new works.

Lloyd always worked extremely hard to maintain a life that could support his creative side, which is shown through his music. His music has an air of optimism and personality that breeds inspiration. It also is said to be able to express a vast variety of emotion to all types of audiences. Most of his music is based on his experiences and his happy-go-lucky attitude.

George Lloyd enjoyed growing fame and popularity near the end of his life; which had first begun in Britain fifty years ago, and now had spread to the USA and Asia. He created four symphonies with the Albany Symphony Orchestra and was a Principal Guest Conductor for two seasons there. He also conducted with the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra. In England, his orchestral music was recorded by Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra, and The Philharmonia Orchestra. His music for brass has been recorded by The Philharmonic Brass, Equale Brass, and all the leading Brass Bands. George Lloyd died on July 3, 1998 in London, England.


Sources:
http://www.georgelloyd.com/lloydintroduction.html
http://www.classical-composers.org/cgi-bin/ccd.cgi?comp=lloyd

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.