This has actually happened, with the homepage of KaZaA Lite, the malware-free version of KaZaA.

If you Google "kazaa lite", you will see the following at the bottom of each page:

"In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org."

If you follow the link to view the complaint, you'll see that Sharman Networks pointed out that searching "Kazaa" brought up sites that linked to KaZaA Lite. This was bad for them and their advertisers, because if more people downloaded KaZaA Lite, less people would look at their ads, and they'd make less money. To make matters worse, the KaZaA Lite folks were very blatantly infringing on Sharman's copyright. So the site was removed from the list of results.

In other words, if you thumb your nose in the face of a company with a lot of money and your site gets enough hits, your site just might get banned.

Sources:

-Google's search results for "kazaa lite"

-http://www.google.com/intl/en/dmca.html

-http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=789

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.