When Jamaica was annexed (or conquered, or borrowed, whatever Brittania used to do when she ruled the waves) in 1687, the Royal Navy replaced the brandy that it had offered to its sailors on a daily basis for centuries with rum.

The ration was one pint for men and a half pint for boys (hence the term) daily. One suspects that alcohol was the only thing that really kept the men and boys going during those three year cruises of which the Admiralty was so fond. (Let's not go there.)

Goode olde Admiral Vernon, in an effort to dilute the rampant alcoholism that pervaded Britain's proud force for a couple of hundred years, started mixing the rum with water as early as 1740.

The one pint (or half pint) ration was not decreased, merely diluted. Sailors received two pints of grog (half water, half rum), served at noon and six P.M.

This is, I believe, an early and sterling example of military intelligence.

Sailors (and boys) who drank too much were "groggy."

For all sorts of unusual adventures involving boys and men at sea with booze and gunpowder, refer to the exquisite seafaring novels of author Patrick O'Brian.


(r) 2007-08-12@0:27 The Custodian says re Grog: Note: one critical addition to the grog (referenced in said excellent O'Brian novels) is that citrus juice was added to it to ward off scurvy - the grog was the preferred means for administration since the men were guaranteed to drink their share.

Crushed up bisque clay sifted through various sizes. Bought and sold by their general size. It helps by preventing cracking from worsening, shrinkage not as bad, and gives more body to clay. A drawback would be that the plasticity suffers and the texture is a blessing/curse depending upon the project.

However, the grog itself opens up the clay body and seems to prevent the drying out the body too badly. For such tight bodies as porcelin it seems to dry too fast and unevenly--not so bad with a liberal amount of grog, I like the rough tecture tho, sucks for burnishing.

courtesy barismotonaga@hawaii.rr.com

Ars Magica

One of the three general character classes in the role-playing game Ars Magica, "grog" is the commonly used slang term for the supporting cast, as it were, at the magi's Covenant. Grogs are the guards, scouts and fighters who protect the magi; the servants, stablehands, cooks, messengers, gardeners, herbalists, etc.

Grogs are a shared player resource. When joining an Ars Magica saga, each player creates one Magus (or Maga), one Companion, and one or more grogs. In a given story, each player will play either his or her Magus/Maga or Companion, and simultaneously one or more grogs.

The collective noun for grogs is turb — ergo, "a turb of grogs" — from Latin turba, meaning "gang," "turmoil" or "confusion." In the game world, the term grog was first coined by the guards at the covenant of Doissetep. Grogs themselves use the term, so the sobriquet has spread throughout much of the Order. Elite grogs, though — the warriors and servants that accompany and protect magi on their travels — are called custodes {sing. custos), and often receive special regard and treatment by the magi.

Game Mechanics

Grogs' characteristics are determined at character creation just like Magi and Companions (whether you use the rolling method or points purchase method). However, grogs only may spend a maximum of 3 Flaw points for selecting Flaws and Virtues. All grogs begin with the basic Abilities of Speak Own Language 4, and Brawl 1, and receive an additional number of Experience Points equal to double their age with which to purchase other Abilities: Talents, Skills and Knowledges.

Source:

Grog (?), n. [So named fronm "Old Grog" a nickmname given to Admiral Vernon, in allusion to his wearing a grogram cloak in foul weather. He is said to have been the first to dilute the rum of the sailors (about 1745).]

A mixture of spirit and water not sweetened; hence, any intoxicating liquor.

Grog blossom, a redness on the nose or face of persons who drink ardent spirits to excess. [Collog.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.