Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion. An extremely powerful scripting system originally written for the Commodore 64 version of Maniac Mansion by Aric Wilmunder and Ron Gilbert, and later extended on the PC and Amiga. SCUMM allows graphic adventure games to be created that require no typing, and can allow for the scripting of elaborate cutscenes. In effect, it allows adventure games to tell a story in a similar manner to film, yet retaining a high level of interaction.

SCUMM has been extended several times over the years. Every graphic adventure LucasArts released between 1988 and 1997 (including The Secret of Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, Day of The Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, and several others) used some version of SCUMM. It's successor was GRIME (the 3D engine used by Grim Fandango) which implemented scripting with the LUA language. Other notable LucasArts technologies include the INSANE animation system, and the patented iMuse interactive music system.

Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion.

It was a backend to many graphical adventure games that allowed environmental freedom. A system that didn't get bogged down in syntax or typos: "I cannot get the hamster" as so suffered in many text adventures.

It allowed multiple characters, event scripting, and kept track of objects no matter where you put them.

The creator of SCUMM, Ron Gilbert, left Lucasarts later to form Humongous Entertainment.

A complete list of the LucasArts SCUMM games is:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.