The Phrase:

"Hang time" is a phrase used in many sports to describe a player that "hangs" in the air when they jump up. It's also used in American football refering to the time the football stays in the air after the punter kicks a punt (usually between 4 and 5.5 seconds in the NFL).


The Video Game(s):

Hang Time is the name of several different video games on various platforms. Most notably is NBA Hang Time - a fun and popular basketball arcade game from Midway ported to SNES, Sega Genesis, and N64 (among others?). There is also a Game Boy Color title called just Hang Time. I'm not familiar with it, but I assume it is also a basketball game.


The Television Series:

Hang Time was a teenaged coming-of-age television series produced by Peter Engel. The series followed up on the earlier Engel vehicles -- the Saturday morning hits Saved by the Bell and California Dreams.. Like the others it was shown on the T-NBC lineup of the NBC network. The series began in the fall of 1995 and lasted for 6 seasons until 2001.

This series was about a group of Indianapolis, Indiana area teenagers going to Deering High School playing basketball for the Deering Tornadoes. What's unusual about the team is that its star player, Julie Connor, is a female with a blazing hot jump shot. Other than this quirk the series plays out the same as all the other shows of this genre. Each 30 minute show has some unlikely plot, a quirk in a romance, and most importantly a moral message teaching kids about the evils of drugs, guns, racism, gambling, drinking and driving, steroids, HIV/AIDS, or the like.

This show managed to attract a number of sports heroes and other famous people as guest stars over the years including: Mitch Richmond, Florence Griffith-Joyner, Cedrick Ceballos, Muggsy Bogues, Juwan Howard, Marques Johnson, Lisa Leslie, Ahmad Rashad, Willow Bay, Grant Hill, The Moffatts, Tim Hardaway, The Atomic Fireballs,and Dustin Diamond.

Hang Time was plagued with a frequently changing cast. (The same thing that hurt Saved by the Bell: The New Class). Only two of the original characters made it through to the last episodes -- Julie (the star BB player) and Mary Beth (the team's manager).

Cast:

Actor                      Character (years on show)
Anthony Anderson...........Teddy Brodis (1996-1998)
Amber Barretto.............Kristy Ford (1997-)
Kevin Bell.................Josh Sanders (1996-1997)
Christian Benz Belnavis....Michael Maxwell (1995-1996)
Dick Butkus................Coach Mike Katowinski (1998-)
Daniella Deutscher.........Julie Connor (all)
Mark Famiglietti...........Nick Hammer (1998-1999)
Adam Frost.................Michael Manning (1997-)
Chad Gabriel...............Danny Mellon (1995-1998)
Phillip Glasser............Eugene Brown (1999-)
Danso Gordon...............Kenny "Silk" Hayes (1998-2000)
David Hanson...............Chris Atwater (1995-1996)
Jay Hernandez..............Antonio Lopez (1998-)
Megan Parlen...............Mary Beth Pepperton (all)
Paige Peterson.............Amy Wright (1996-1997)
Robert Michael Ryan........Earl Hatfield (1995-1996)
Michael Sullivan...........Vince D'Amata (1996-1998)
Reggie Theus...............Coach Bill Fuller (1995-1998)
Hillary Tuck...............Samantha Morgan (1995-1996)
James Villani..............Rico Bosco (1998-1999)

Theme song:

Hang Time
Running together
Putting it on the line

Hang Time
Jammin forever
taking it up for hang time

We're hot, we're in the zone
Part of a team, never alone

Hang Time
Hangin' together
sharing a dream so fine
I'll always remember
Me and my friends and Hang Time
Me and my friends and Hang Time

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.