The Civic Si, introduced to the US by Honda in 1999 and continued into the 2000 model year, is a performance-oriented version of the venerable Honda Civic. (Please note that this car is referred to as the Civic SiR in Canada.)

Using a new variation of the b16a engine from the VTEC Civic Del Sol of the mid-90's, this car puts out an impressive 160 horsepower with just 1.6 litres of displacement. Torque, however, is not as impressive at only 111 foot-pounds. The 0-60 time has been reported at anywhere from 7.1 to 7.8 seconds. I think 7.0 is possible with aftermarket tires and a driver who knows how to properly launch a high-revving car. Speaking of which, the b16a's redline is a lofty 8000 rpm, with the rev limiter at about 8300. Peak power comes at 7500 or so, which means you really have to wind it up to extract the full potential of this engine.

On a personal note, I love my Civic Si. I bought a 2000 in Electron Blue Pearl and have since added a cold air intake (CAI) from AEM. More mod's will hopefully be added in 2001. Currently under consideration are underdrive pulleys and shocks/springs. I won't add cosmetic stuff because I'm not a riceboy. :-)

The Honda Civic Si was first introduced in the United States in 1986. In 1984 and 1985, Honda offered the Civic S, the first sport-tuned versions of the squared-off Civic hatchback style that was launched in 1983. The Civic S contained a carbureted 1.5-liter engine, with stiffer shocks and a rear stabilizer bar. The '84 and '85 Civic S models were offered in white with gray trim, or gray with dark gray trim. The 1986 Civic Si hatchback added fuel injection to the 1.5-liter engine, along with a flip-up moonroof, and was offered in red or black (I owned a red one and loved every minute of it). The fuel-injected Si hatchback lasted until 1998, when it was dropped from the lineup in favor of the Si sedan.

The reincarnated Si models, reintroduced in the late 1990's, added the VTEC valve-control technology first developed by Honda for the Acura Integra.

The Civic Si will be back for 2002. It will have a 2.0 liter i-VTEC in-line four that makes 160 horsepower and 141 pound feet of torque, much more than previous models. And yes, it will be a hatchback just like the originals.

The new Si is already available in Europe, where it has 200 horsepower. We don't get that power because the new Acura RSX already has that engine, and Honda doesn't want to eat into its own sales.

No double wishbones in front, though. Damn cheapskates.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.