How to take care of candles
Not many people know how to properly burn
a candle, and I have seen many, many people thow away mostly unburned pillar candles due to ignorance... but no more!
I compiled this from the labels on candles around my house.
- In aluminum cups - recommended for "closed-type" holders (eg. Tealight house potpourri burners).
- In transparent cups - recommended for glass holders.
- Always keep wicks trimmed to 1/4".
- The metal clip is designed to extinguish the flame when the wick has burned out.
- Always remove the metal clip from a previous votive before placing a new votive in the holder.
- While burning votives, be sure the wick is centered.
- Wicks too close to the side of a votive holder may cause breakage.
- Always keep wick trimmed to 1/4"
- Do not place near drafts, fans or air conditioners.
- If dripping occurs, wait for wax to harden and remove excess.
- Burning time: approximately 45 minutes per inch.
3 Wick Candles
- Keep wick centered and trimmed to 1/4"
- First lighting: burn for 5 - 10 minutes.
- For the next 4 - 5 lightings gradually increase burning times until the belltop is gone.
- Once the candle has a flat surface, burn a minimum of 1 hour per inch for each inch of the candle's diameter.
- Pillars should always have a flat surface, not a deep well.
- Gently "hug" the soft wax around the well to maintain a flat surface.
- NEVER trim the wicks.
- Burn a minimum of 6 hours at each lighting.
- Keep wicks pointed towards centre.
- Gently hug the soft wax around the well to maintain a flat surface.