A pickup line, apocryphal in origin, made famous by Joey Tribbiani from the NBC show Friends. It is important to speak the line in an Italian-influenced New York accent, usually with raised eyebrows and nodding smile. Entertaining on the show, it has now been relentlessly ground to the point of annoyance in bars, clubs, and among frat boys (especially dangerous when combined).

Introduced in:

  • Season 4, Episode 13, The One With Rachel's Crush - Joey teaching Rachel how to pick up on a man: "Oh-oh-oh-oh, how I do it is, I look a woman up and down and say, 'Hey, how you doin?'"

Subsequent occurrences to date:

  • Season 4, Episode 20, The One With all the Wedding Dresses - Joey, at a sleep clinic, picking up on a girl in his sleep: (sleepily) "Yeah, she is. Wow! (Falls back asleep, loudly) How you doin'?"
  • Season 4, Episode 23, The One With Ross's Wedding - Joey, after a bridesmaid asks him to talk New York to her: (In a New York accent) "Fuggetaboutit... How you doin'?"
  • Season 5, Episode 16, The One With a Cop - Joey to Rachel, after Chandler and Monica tell him he might have to be friends with someone before dating: (in a sexy voice) "How you doin'?"
  • Season 5, Episode 23, The One in Vegas - Joey, distracted by a female dealer as he searches for his hand twin: "Okay! (Walks away, then turns back.) How you doin'?"
  • Season 6, Episode 5, The One With Joey's Porsche - Joey, to a woman interested in his Porsche, which turns out to be boxes under a car cover: "Hey! How you doin'?"
  • Season 6, Episode 7, The One Where Phoebe Runs - Joey, having a hard time with a no-flirting rule: "Yeah. Well, so far yeah. But it's tough, you know? I got all this built up flirting energy and I don't know how to get rid of it. (Gives Chandler the "Joey-love" look) How you doin'?"
  • Season 6, Episode 13, The One With Rachel's Sister - Joey, being introduced to Rachel's sister Jill: "Hey, (in the Joey voice) how you doin'?"
  • Season 6, Episode 15, The One That Could Have Been - Joey to Rachel, in the fantasy episode where the Friends imagine their lives different if they hadn't ended up being friends: "So uh, how you doin'?"
  • Season 6, Episode 17, The One With the Unagi - Joey, correcting a look-a-like who just tried to say his line: "No! No! No! No! No! How you doin'?! How you doin' - Damnit Carl! Go wait in the hall!"
  • Season 6, Episode 21, The One Where Ross Meets Elizabeth's Dad - Joey, in the middle of berating himself: "Stupid! I can't believe it! God! (A very beautiful woman walks by) (To her) Hey, how you doin'?"
  • Season 7, Episode 5, The One With The Engagement Picture - Tag, after Rachel asks him if Joey taught him anything about talking to girls: (To her, in the Joey voice) "How you doin'?"
  • Season 7, Episode 16, The One With the Truth about London - Fat Joey to a piece of food, in a fantasy sequence where he married the chef Monica: "Here we go! Here we go! Here we go! (Groans and picks up a piece of food.) How you doin'?"
  • Season 8, Episode 7, The One With the Stain - Rachel, on moving: "Yeah, I can't live with Joey once the baby comes. I don't want my child's first words to be, (in a baby's voice) 'How you doin?'"

compiled from http://www.thecfsi.com: The Complete Friends Script Index

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.