You left the room shortly after I got in. I only know it because someone told me;

«You just missed her» they said, «I’m sure you would have fallen for her

I went that night because I had nothing else to do. Beer in hand, fleeting from table to table, chatting the chats that strangers in a bar tend to have. The most trivial and the most important—both can be trusted to a friendly, inebriated stranger that won’t be here tomorrow morning.

Later, I found old friends at a table—not a hard thing to happen in a small city with few good watering holes. A chance encounter always deserves a toast, even if the chances are high.

We started with Gin and Tonics, then replaced the Gin with Mezcal, and the Tonics with Beer. We started with how we’ve been, then replaced it with how we wish we were. We started with your new partner, then replaced it with my chronic singleness.

«You just missed her» they said, «I thought you knew her already

I was told you were very pretty. That everyone had crushes on you, that you were my type, or I was yours, I can’t remember now, my head is killing me.

I was told you were very pretty, but never told why. I would rather know what you look like. That way I wouldn’t have spent these days wondering who you are. Are you the bookish one at the café or the extroverted one at the bookshop? The one in suit and tie or the braless carefree at the skate park?

I was told you were very pretty, and now I have to believe it.


Based on a true story.


284

 

 

They were talking about you 

 

They did not mention your favorite book or

your favorite movie 

 

They didn't say which sweaters you prefer or

the scent of your candles

 

I did not hear anything about your skill at piano,   nor 

your water skiing.  

 

I was told you were very pretty 

 

The same could be said for The Eiffel tower

I suppose 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.