2002 winner of the Harry M. Goode Memorial Award and outstanding scholar

Ian F. Akyildiz received his BS, MS, and PhD degrees in Computer Engineering from the University of Erlangen-Nuernberg, Germany, in 1978, 1981 and 1984. Currently, he is the Ken Byers Distinguished Chair Professor with the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Director of Broadband and Wireless Networking Laboratory. He has held visiting professorships at the Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, Chile, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI), Ecole Nationale Superieure Telecommunications in Paris, France, Universidad Politecnico de Cataluna in Barcelona, Spain, and Universidad Illes Baleares, Palma de Mallorca, Spain. He has published over two-hundred technical papers in journals and conference proceedings.


Awards
1994 - ACM Outstanding Distinguished Lecturer Award

1996 - IEEE FELLOW
"For contributions to performance analysis of computer communication networks."

1997 - ACM FELLOW
"For fundamental research contributions in: finite capacity queuing network models; performance evaluation of Time Warp parallel simulations; traffic Control in ATM networks, and mobility management in wireless networks."

1997 - IEEE Leonard G. Abraham Prize Award from the IEEE Communications Society
for his paper entitled: "Multimedia Group Synchronization Protocols for Integrated Services Architectures"

2002 - IEEE Harry M. Goode Memorial Award from the IEEE Computer Society
"for significant and pioneering contributions to advanced architectures and protocols for wireless and satellite networking".

2003 - Best Tutorial Paper Award from IEEE Communications Society
for his paper entitled: "A Survey on Sensor Networks"

2003 - ACM SIGMOBILE AWARD
"For pioneering contributions in the area of mobility and resource management for wireless communication networks"


sources
http://www.acm.org/awards/fellows_citations/akyildiz.html
http://www.ece.uiuc.edu/seminar/98-99/akyildiz.html
http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/bwn/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.