A measuring system used to measure things like distances, volumes etc. Used in the British Empire (although the metric system is creeping in). Distances, for instance, were measured in inches, feet, yards and miles. But unlike the metric system, where a metre consists of 100 centimetres, a foot fails to do the obvious and instead consists of 12 inches (is that true? imagine that!). Abandoned for its complicatedness by almost every country in the world except the United States of America and the UK.

A rather old system of measurement whereby unit ratios are not based on ten, but rather (at least in the case of volume), 2. Note:
1 barrel = 2 strikes
1 strike = 2 bushels
1 bushel = 2 buckets
1 bucket = 2 pecks
1 peck = 2 gallons
1 gallon = 2 pottles
1 pottle = 2 quarts
1 quart = 2 pints
1 pint = 2 cups
1 cup = 2 gills
1 gill = 2 wine glasses
1 wine glass = 2 fluid ounces
1 fluid ounce = 2 tablespoonse
1 tablespoon = 2 dessert spoons
1 dessert spoon = 2 drams
1 dram = 2 pinches
1 pinch = 2 dashes, etc...

Imperial Measurement System

An ergonomic system of measurement based on everyday life.

Proof:

Liquid Volume

Pint (idea)
A pint is precisely the maximum amount of liquid which can be ingested in one gulp by an average human being.
 
Gallon (idea)
As much liquid as the average human being can drink without throwing up.
 
Weight (humans don't know about mass)

Stone (idea)
Well, clearly the approx. weight of the biggest rock you can clasp in a human hand.
 
Tonne (idea)
The weight of the biggest rock that humans can move co-operatively.
 
Length (where the rule is most patent)

Foot (idea)
Hmm... The length of a human foot?
 
Yard (idea)
The length of a human stride.
 
Mile (idea)
The longest distance that can be considered a short walk by a human from anywhere else.

So it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that people experienced in the use of Imperial measurements have trouble getting to grips with the Metric System, should it?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.