ISSHINRYU is a style of karate that was (officially) founded by Tatsuo Shimabuku in 1956. The style is a combonation of the better aspects of Shorinryu and Gojoryu karate, as well as okinawan kubodo.

One of the distinctive aspects of the style is the use of a vertical fist, much like is seen in kung fu styles, but is unique in the fact that the thumb is on the top of the fist pressing down on the forefinger, rather then resting on the side. This strengthens the wrist and reduces the risk of a boxer's fracture.

Isshinryu uses strong natural stances, usually at shoulder width apart, rather than very wide locked-in stances like other systems. All kicks fall below the waist with the groin and knees as the primary targets. Punches are mainly aimed at the solar plexus to deliver a blow that knocks the wind out of the opponent.

Due to its simple logical nature Isshinruy is not the prettiest style of karate, but it is arguably one of the most practical when applied to a street fighting situation.
Isshinryu is a relatively new style of Karate, created by Tatsuo Shimabuku in 1956. Its differences from mainstream karate spring from the eight Codes of Karate, created by Shimabuku, which are still strictly followed:

1. A person's heart is the same as Heaven and Earth
2. The blood circulating is similar to the motion of the moon and the sun.
3. A manner of drinking and spitting is either hard or soft.
4. A persons unbalance is the same as a weight.
5. The body should be able to change directions at any time.
6. Strike when opportunity presents itself.
7. The eye must see all sides.
8. The ear must listen in all directions.

All this leads to a fighting style that is more streamlined and effective for self defense that most other Do, or fighting art oriented styles of karate.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.