Based on a jambalaya recipe in an old issue of Maxim, I took quite a few liberties with it; this creation gets its name from the fact that it has 'lessa' the stuff I don't like so much (no shrimp or cooked celery) and more of the stuff I do.

Supposedly, it's not jambalaya if it's missing those two ingredients, but that doesn't bother me, this is still quite tasty.

If you still want to make it more traditionally, and put in shrimp, substitute 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp for the extra 1/2 lbs. of chicken and sausage.

Ingredients:
Directions:
  • Combine chicken, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme and hot sauce. Heat oil in a *very large* pan; add sausage and saute, stirring till brown.
  • Add onions and saute for 5 more minutes.
  • Add chicken mix, garlic, and peppers.
  • Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and saute a few more minutes.
  • Stir in everything else except the rice and cilantro; bring to boil -- although you might be wise, at this point, to move everything to a stock pot, if you've got one.
  • Add rice, lower heat and cover; Cook 20-25 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and scallions. Serve in bowls.


This makes a LOT. The first time I cooked it, I transferred everything to two large pots, which gave me the opportunity to make one batch more spicy. To reiterate, however, a stock pot will make your job a lot easier -- it's the only way I've cooked it, since.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.