Born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts, singer/songwriters Kevin So studied classical piano since early childhood. After graduating from the University of California, Kevin's musical tastes turned to jazz. After a brief stint with a cover band, Kevin threw his hat into the competitive Boston singer/songwriter scene.

Hailed as the Amy Tan of the singer/songwriter world, critics soon caught on to So's lyrical truths and knack for engaging people into his storytelling. His music is a blend of delta blues and folk music infused with touches of jazz and hip-hop beats. His music has garnered attention from artists like Richie Havens, Martin Sexton, Ellis Paul, Chris Trapper, Mary Lou Lord, and David Wilcox and has been an opener for many of these artists, as well as others, including Susan Werner, Vance Gilbert, and Moxy Früvous.

Kevin has been nominated six times for a Boston Music Award, and has been twice invited to play the main stage at the Kerrville Music Festival in Texas, and The Bottom Line in New York City. Kevin was also selected as a showcase artist by the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival in 2000, and returned for their "Most Wanted Song Swap" in 2001.

Kevin's CD's include "That Oriental Guy" (2001), "Different" (2000), "Along The Way" (1999), "Individual" (1997), "Blackout Road" (1997) and "Pendulum" (1996).

Some of my personal favorite songs of his are "Porn Star", "Standing in the shadow of Ellis Paul", "Hot tub", and "Nothing's changed at all". How many artists do you know who can combine fun songs like "Porn Star" with serious songs about racism like "Nothing's changed at all" on one disc?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.