FOLK is an acronym for Functionally-Overloaded Linux Kernel.

The project makes a "superpatch" for Linux kernel, incorporating as many different drivers and kernel patches as possible. Some of the patches it incorporates are fairly useful (ALSA, MOSIX, lm_sensors) and would probably go well with "official" Linux kernel tree, some are rather wacky but sound useful (BadMEM patch, multiple root device, nmap fooling "IP personality patch", WINE accelerator).

"The more obscure, arcane and bizarre, the better."

http://folk.sourceforge.net/

Folk (?), Folks (?), n. collect. & pl. [AS. folc; akin to D. volk, OS. & OHG. folk, G. volk, Icel. flk, Sw. & Dan. folk, Lith. pulkas crowd, and perh. to E. follow.]

1. Eng. Hist.

In Anglo-Saxon times, the people of a group of townships or villages; a community; a tribe.

[Obs.]

The organization of each folk, as such, sprang mainly from war. J. R. Green.

2.

People in general, or a separate class of people; -- generally used in the plural form, and often with a qualifying adjective; as, the old folks; poor folks.

[Colloq.]

In winter's tedious nights, sit by the fire With good old folks, and let them tell thee tales. Shak.

3.

The persons of one's own family; as, our folks are all well.

[Colloq. New Eng.]

Bartlett.

Folk song, one of a class of songs long popular with the common people. -- Folk speech, the speech of the common people, as distinguished from that of the educated class.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.