A natural swimming hole in Spicewood, 34 miles west of Austin, Texas in Burnet County. Despite acclaim from Life Magazine as one of the ten best natural swimming spots in the world, Krause Springs remains a relatively unknown gem in the Texas hill country, overshadowed by more prominent landmarks like nearby Barton Springs in Austin.

Locals report that Elton and Jane Krause bought the property from an aunt in the 1950s. Over the years Elton and his sons made improvements on the land to create a privately-owned park and campground. The property contains approximately 32 springs, though only two of them feed the 70-by-20 foot swimming pool at a rate of 70 gallons per minute. The springs boast a year-round average temerature of 70 degrees Farenheit. Despite numerous droughts over the years, the springs have never run dry, and the site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Krause Springs is west of Austin off TX 71 and Spur 191 into Spicewood. Take Texas Highway 71 west from Austin, cross the Pedernales River, drive 7 miles, turn right on Spur 191 at the Exxon Station, right on County Road 404 and look for a sign on the left directing you to this private park.

Source: Texas Outside

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.