Kyuki-Do is mostly a derivative of the older martial art Tae Kwon Do, and also includes the practices of several different martial arts from around the world. It strives for the more traditional sense of a martial art rather then a competitive sport. Its overwhelming goal is not the competitive ideal of the martial art, but developing the character of the person and in turn showing them their potential.

Kyuki-Do orginally came to America from Korea and the practices of several of its martial arts combined into the system of Kyuki-Do we know today. It was brought with a man by the name of Ok Hyung Kim in 1967 with the help of additional dedicated teachers of the art.

When it was established in America it was named as the AKF. The AKF has since developed into a larger martial art in America with over 60 locations around the country mostly situated in the western United States.

The average participant of Kyuki-Do will usually be wearing a white suit known as a Dobak, with a belt, or Di, signifying the student's correct rank. The skills learned in Kyuki-Do are usually passed down by the teacher, or Sabeom Nim. The place in which the art of Kyuki-Do has been practiced throughout its past in a school, or Kwan in a workout area known as a dojeng.

The most highly used martial art of Kyuki-Do is Tae Kwon Do. This art is used for the kicks and alternate strikes in which we, the martial artists, use in our sparring, Kyuki and Tageuk forms, and board braking techniques. Tae Kwon Do holds a place in almost every aspect of this martial art from the traditional to the competitive, as the hand techniques and kicks we use are a part of almost everything we do whether it be under the traditional sense in a form or in a competitive match.

Another major korean martial art whose techniques and forms have been integrated into Kyuki-Do is Judo.Judo originated in Japan as a combative sport which used moves previously from the martial art of Juijitsu, and was tought with technique being more dominant than strength. Judo includes the throwing and breakfalling moves which are used alot in this martial art. Some of the moves put into Kyuki-Do from Judo include regular throws from positions such as over the back, by the arm, under the shoulder in the arm pit area, or from the Di. Also sweeps from the front, back, and sides are used as preventive and offensive techniques. The other prominant half of Judo used in this martial art are the breakfalls used to sustain blows to the body or to recover from strikes and throws and sweeps. Breakfalls are preformed by the striking force of the arm stoping the momentum of your body as it falls to the ground. Breakfalls are usually preformed from the side, the front, or the back with one arm or two. Throws, sweeps, and breakfalls all combined form a large part of the staple moves used in Kyuki-Do.

Another martial art highly used in Kyuki-Do is the art of Hapkido. This is usually used in the self defense form you learn throughout Kyuki-Do. These forms are used in a defensive technique made to use pain compliance, pinning, and strikes to vital and non vital parts of the body. These mostly defensive techniques are used as an alternative to always using strikes thet may seriously cripple your attacker.

One of the arts used in Kyuki-Do is particularly different than the rest of them. This martial art is known as Kobudo, which is used mostly for weapons training. Many times the weapons used in Kobudo are thought of by the average public to be in a special state because of the way they see them used on television. In reality, to progress to the skill level as seen in movies takes many years of practice and devotion and bruises. The art incorporates mostly the use of five oriental weapons used each in their own way. The first of these weapons is the Nunchucku, two sticks connected at the end with a rope or chain. Next is the Tonfa which is a short club with a perpendicular handle near one end. Next is the Kama, a small sickle-shaped weapon with a somtimes attatched rope on the end. The Bo staff is a long staff about six feet in length. Last is the Sai, a short trident usually used in pairs. Many times weapons training in Kobudo is used as a more creative alternative to the partial regularity of Kyuki-Do.

All of these arts put together make almost the entirety of the martial art of Kyuki-Do. Many would say it is strengthened by the different styles and techniques put into it that make it such a diversified and widely usable system of martial art. It can be expanded in sense to be used as a defensive measure, or be used as a combative way whether in real life or in a sparring match. It is also a way of improving ones life through the practice of the traditional dicipline put into Kyuki-Do combined with the improvement of your character and the raising of your potential to higher standards.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.