An all-around musician's shop located in New York City, on 48th between 7th and 8th avenues. Opened in 1937 by Manny Goldrich, the store has been serving the professional music industry for over 67 years and is now co-managed by Goldrich's grandson, Ian (who had it passed down to him from his father, Henry). Legendary clients from Benny Goodman, Charlie Parker, Buddy Holly and the Beatles to Jimi Hendrix, U2, Eric Clapton and Nirvana have shopped there on a regular basis, and they still have the signed photos up on the walls to prove it.

Generally regarded as the place to go for musicians not only in Manhattan but also worldwide, it managed to stay afloat amidst a rise in Walmart-style retail tactics used by the likes of the Sam Ash corporation and Guitar Center. Even after Sam Ash came into the neighborhood and took over nearly all of 48th street, Manny's still was doing rather well, drawing support from its famous client base and dedicated customers.

However, in 1998, due to a lack of business smarts, Manny's went heavily into debt and Sam Ash offered to buy them out, leaving them to appear as a seprate entity and yet treating the employees and even Ian Goldrich himself as a puppet of the cruel corporate environment that Sam Ash was and still is spreading across the country. Installing their own severely outdated inventory system and a few Sam Ash store veterens (such as co-manager Timothy Brown), they began to exert a slow stranglehold on the famous store, sucking it dry of the love and care with which it had previously been regarded.

Sadly, Manny's is beginning to resemble that which it was supposed to oppose, a chain retail establishment where the employees don't care about providing quality service because they hardly get paid at all, let alone enough. The photos, however, still remain on the wall, reminding all who enter Manny's Music of a time when things were different.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.