As far as I know, there are four things named 'Maracanã'

  1. It's a bird - Tupi Guarani1 name for a Macaw (meaning "rattle-like").
  2. It's a creek - An urban creek in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
  3. It's a neighborhood - In the Northern Zone of the aforementioned city.
  4. It's a stadium - Nickname for the Mario Filho County Stadium, built for the 1950 World Cup at the aforementioned neighborhood.


 

1 - The bird (Propyrrhura maracana)

The Maracanã is a Psittacidae that is (more and more rarely) found in North Eastern and South Eastern regions of Brazil, some areas of Paraguay and in the North East of Argentina. Its preferred habitat are wet forests close to the coast, but sometimes it's also been found in dry areas in country. It's 36cm to 47cm tall in average, and have no sexual dimorphism. The Maracanã's plumage is predominantly green. Its feet has two fingers pointing forward and two fingers pointing backward (birds usually have three fingers pointing forward and one backward). The maracanã is frugivore a bird.

2 - The creek

Not too much to say here, it's just a small river that goes from Alto da Tijuca to downtown Rio. It is small, and not very clean.

3 - The neighborhood

This middle-class neighborhood has the particularity of being located at the city's geometric center, and it's one of the (relatively) few scarce places in Rio de Janeiro that is neither on the upper-class lane next to the sea, nor on the overpopulated and utterly poor hillside favelas.

4 - The stadium

A giantic Football stadium, build for the 1950 World Cup. It took more than two years to complete its construction, from January, 1948, to June, 1950. In the first game held in this stadium, it's believed that more than 220,000 people gathered to see the São Paulo State side defeat Rio de Janeiro (3-1). In July 16, 1950, again with an attendance of about 220,000 people, Uruguay beat Brazil in the final match of the World Cup.

It was in the Maracanã, also, that Pelé socored his 1000th goal in 1969.



You can think on them as South America's Sioux, until they get a node of their own.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.