This is another Dr. Seuss standard, written and published in 1972. It is aimed at beginning readers and follows the general Seuss formula of rhymes, repetition, and wacky illustrations.

The book only has two characters- Marvin K. Mooney and the narrator. Mooney is illustrated on every page wearing purple pajamas and often standing on a circular rug, hands either drawn behind his back or upon his hips. The narrator is mostly unseen, appearing only as arms and hands, which gesture the best ways for Marvin to go.

This book is filled with ways for Marvin K. Mooney to get away from the narrator as fast as possible. The narrator, being ever unconcerned as for how Marvin gets away, as long as he gets away fast, suggests that he leave by stilts, broomsticks, cows, a camel in a bureau drawer and cars among many other things.


It’s long been an urban legend that Seuss wrote this book as a plea for Richard Nixon to leave the White House after Watergate. However, this book was published in August of 1972, only two months after the Watergate scandal broke, and still before there were many ties to link the White House to the break-in.

This legend probably surfaced after Washington Post political columnist Art Buchwald chided Dr. Seuss for having never written a political book in 1974. When approached about the reprimand, Seuss supposedly immediately picked up a copy of Marvin K. Mooney, Will You Please Go Now! marked through “Marvin K. Mooney” and rewrote the name “Richard M. Nixon” above it. Buchwald was purportedly so pleased with Seuss that he asked for permission to reprint the text of the book rewritten as Richard M Nixon, Will You Please Go Now! in his editorial for July 30th, 1974.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.