"[If cryptography is outlawed,] only outlaws will have privacy."

The encoding for the second half of the above statement is called rot-13, that is, "rotate by 13". The catch is, those using encryption of any form will be persecuted, so they won't have privacy either. (Notice that anyone using rot-13 for cryptographic purposes has probably lost it.)


There is real concern worldwide that encryption may be detrimental overall (on the part of governments), or that encryption may become illegal (on the part of those using it). Encrypted HTTP sockets (see https) are what sustain anything regarding internet transactions involving money, real or otherwise. Companies like RSA have a real interest in keeping encryption legal as that is their entire business. To number theorists, encryption is important as an applied branch of studies in prime numbers.

There are two major divisions of encryption usage: long-term, and short-term. Most long-term uses are needed for years at a time, while most short-term uses are minute by minute, up to a matter of hours or even weeks. The long-term uses include e-mail encryption, encrypted filesystems and factoring challenges. Many short-term uses are transactive in nature.


Here are a couple challenges (/msg me if you have the answers...):
  • In this world, three things are certain: e.aydw yaq.o abe nroy eayav
  • "If and only if" is an expression m.abcbi nricjan .'gckan.bj.v
  • If you try to build intimacy with another person without first hsglu kjd jaoh ,sov of becoming ,jspdw all your relationships will become an attempt to ismrpdkd yourself, and they will yapp ypake
  • Tlnid koq dr zhejqnan kelrnv pf qvrcdc.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.