A UNIX program for decoding passwords in /etc/passwd. It uses brute force methods possibly with a dictionary file to try to guess the password.

Also, UNIX C library function - and Perl function - for encrypting passwords using one-way hash function (modified version of DES, IIRC).

crypt(3) (and the Perl function) takes 2 arguments, the key (password) and salt.

Usually, when users enter their password first time, the system does this:

  1. It generates two random letters, the salt.
  2. It encrypts the password using crypt function with this salt.
  3. It stores the salt, and resulting hash, to the password file.

When user types a password, the system should

  1. Take the stuff from password file, interpreting first two bytes as salt and rest as hash,
  2. encrypt the typed password with this salt,
  3. compare the resulting hash with the hash that was stored,
  4. if the hashes match, password was correct, if not, it wasn't.

The salt is just to ensure that even if you have two passwords that are same, their encrypted forms are not same.

For a hideous example of its use, see Black Perl. =)

The basic barracks building summoned by the Undead in Warcraft III.

Requirements: None. Well, kind of after the Necropolis...
Cost: 280 Gold, 50 Lumber
Buildings Allowed: None
Units Created: Ghoul (18 seconds), Crypt fiend (30 seconds), Gargoyle (35 seconds)
Upgrades Available: Tier 1: Cannibalize (30 seconds). Tier 2: Web (30 seconds). Tier 3: Ghoul frenzy (60 seconds), Stone form (45 seconds).

Stats: Build time: 1 minute. Armor: 5. HP: 1300.

Crypts are very versatile buildings. They have oodles of HP, and can pump out units. While the train time is quite low, two Crypts really should be created once you have the resources. The upgrades available are fairly linear, allowing your basic troops easy paths to upgrades without sacrificing too much troop producing time on complicated upgrades.



Warcraft III Undead Guide

<<< Necropolis -- Crypt -- Graveyard >>>



Information gleaned from:
  • My own lovingly played copy of Warcraft III
  • www.battle.net/war3
  • www.warcraftiii.net
Copyright information is the property of their respective owners.

Crypt (kr?pt), n. [L. crypta vault, crypt, Gr. , fr. to hide. See Crot, Crotto.]

1.

A vault wholly or partly under ground; especially, a vault under a church, whether used for burial purposes or for a subterranean chapel or oratory.

Priesthood works out its task age after age, . . . treasuring in convents and crypts the few fossils of antique learning. Motley.

My knees are bowed in crypt and shrine. Tennyson.

2. Anat.

A simple gland, glandular cavity, or tube; a follicle; as, the cryps of Lieberkhn, the simple tubular glands of the small intestines.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.