Maui figures as a powerful god in the legends of many Polynesians. But the Maoris and the Hawaiians probably make the biggest claim to him.

Maaui-tikitiki, as he was known in AoTeAroa, the land of the long white cloud, was a superb fisherman. Using a hook made from the jawbone of an ancestor, and blood from his own nose as bait, he caught the porch of a carved house on the ocean floor. Drawing in the line with superhuman strength, he pulled up not only the porch and the house, but an entire body of land. Today, Maoris call that land, the North Island of New Zealand, Te Ika-a-Maaui, the fish of Maaui. Look at a map and you will see its head facing south, its tail stretching north.

Another time, in Hawaii, Maui's mother Hina complained that the sun traveled too fast across the sky. She barely had time each short day, to attend to the myriad of chores required by island living. So Maui hid behind a rock on the highest peak of the island, and when the sun sped by, Maui lassooed it with a rope and only let it go when the sun promised to change its habits. And so, on the island that now bears Maui's name, the mountain is called Haleakala, House Of The Sun, and the days on that island are always long and bright.

In Hawaii, the hawk is personified as Maui, who, in taking fire from the Earth-Mother, was singed by the flames. This is why the hawk's feathers are brown.

Encyclopedia Mythica
by Hugh D. Mailly
(c) Encyclopedia Mythica, http://www.pantheon.org/

Maui, also known as the Valley Isle, is the second largest island in the state of Hawaii, with an area of around 1,900 square miles. The two major urban areas on the island are Lahaina and Kahului. The island's population is slightly higher than 9,000.

Maui was conquered by Kamehameha I in 1790, and he made Lahaina the capital of the Hawaiian kingdom shortly after that, a status which the city enjoyed until 1845, after the whaling industry centered in Lahaina began to decline.

There are two natural parks on the island. One of them is Haleakala National Park, which includes Halekala, a dormant volcano with one of the largest craters in the world. It is 7.5 miles long, 2.5 miles wide and 3000 feet deep. Iao Needle State Park is also located on Maui, and it is close to the area where Kamehameha I defeated the chief of Maui and his forces.

Sources:

www.nps.gov/hale/

http://www.greatestcities.com/North_America/USA/Hawaii_HI/Lahaina_city.html

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/iao_valley_state_park.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.